Plants & Pillars mentoring program will begin on Tuesday, October 8 and will meet the second Tuesday of each month through May.
Welcome to Plants & Pillars:
This free mentoring program offers participants, ages 14-18, life skills as well as insights into a wide range of educational opportunities through
community mentors. Meeting the second Tuesday of each month at 6:00PM, students will have the opportunity to learn about their community, themselves and their future!
Each month, students are introduced to a different skilled trade or profession. Local professionals will discuss skills and education needed to obtain employment in their field as well as offer life skills related to each job.
Our goal is to give participants the confidence needed to make and meet short and long term goals as they transition from adolescence to young adulthood and beyond.
Participants are encouraged to attend all eight months of the program which begins in October and ends in with a graduation ceremony in May. Those who complete the program will not only obtain a great deal of knowledge to apply towards future endeavors but will also be eligible to participate in a graduation ceremony as well as be rewarded with a YMCA summer membership and other incentives.
Month By Month
Each month participants will get to spend time with a local professional learning valuable life skills and participating in fun hands-on activities.
No lectures, or boring presentations.
Topics covered will include:
- Basic car care and maintenance.
- Banking and how credit works.
- Building a resume and having a successful job interview.
- What skills potential employers look for.
- Dressing for every occasion.
- Basic first aid and safety.
- Cooking and etiquette.
- Higher Education–Learn how financial aid works. Find out all the options from local schools.
- Time management and goal setting.
- Personal safety and self defense.
- Plus much more!