FACILITY REOPENING PLAN – Announced on 6/3/2020
Phase 2 Reopening of the Mon Valley YMCA
The Mon Valley YMCA is continuing to reopen our facility during the Green Phase of Gov. Wolf’s Pennsylvania reopening plan. Under the Yellow Phase, The Y opened our childcare programs on May 20, 2020. We considered this our phase 1.
With our area going to the Green Phase on June 5th, we are looking to reopen additional areas of our facility on Wednesday, June 10, 2020. This opening will be considered phase 2 for our YMCA. The areas that will open will be limited at first and will included:
- The Wellness Center
- The ETA Room
- The Gymnasium for limited fitness class schedule as well as limited time walking
This phase 2 opening will open with reduced hours of Monday-Friday 6:30 am – 8:00 pm, Saturday, 7:00 am – 5:00 pm.
We have reduced capacity and hours of operations so that we can fully comply with CDC recommendations and the Commonwealth Green Phase recommendations.
We will follow guidance from state and local government, CDC recommendations as well as our National YMCA. These new guidelines, as well as additional cleaning procedures, will help to ensure we are providing a safe environment for you to enjoy the Mon Valley YMCA. A full list of guidance is on the Guidelines and Overview Outline, but a few of the changes you can expect are:
- We will be operating with only 1 entrance which will be our main entrance. Our Wellness Center parking lot and entrance will be closed.
- Members will have their temperature taken upon entering. If your temperature is above 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit, you cannot enter the YMCA. Further, you will be asked a brief health screening. This process will be done each and every time you enter the YMCA. If you answer “yes” to any of the screening questions, you will not be permitted access to the YMCA for 14 days. An automatic hold will be placed on your account if you are denied.
The questions are:
- Has anyone in your household had a temperature of 100.4 or higher in the last 72 hours?
- Has anyone in your household been symptomatic in the last 72 hours:
Cough, Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, Chills/Repeated shaking with chills, Muscle pain, Headache, Sore throat, Loss of taste or smell, Diarrhea, or Feeling feverish?
- In the last 14 days, has anyone in your household been exposed to anyone who is known to have COVID-19 or who is on quarantine awaiting the return of a COVID-19 test result?
- You must check in and out of the YMCA, so we have a real time record of how many people are in the YMCA. We must adhere to strict compacity limits. At this time, we will not be working off of a reservation system, but again, we must limit visits if too many people are in our YMCA at any given time.
- Masks are required by members in common areas of the YMCA. They are suggested, but not required to be worn, while you are working out.
- Members and staff must maintain a 6-foot distance at all times from each other.
- Upon entering, members will be given their own bottle of disinfectant and a clean towel. Members are to disinfect equipment both before and after use. Bottles and towels will be returned upon exiting the building
- YMCA staff will be cleaning all high touch areas of the YMCA on an ongoing basis throughout the day.
This is the next step in fully reopening the Mon Valley YMCA. There are many areas of our facility as well as many programs and services we will not be opening under this phase 2 of our reopening. Our plan is to at some point fully open our facility in upcoming phases. At this time, we want to safely open and comply with all guidelines of the Commonwealth. Our showers, steam and sauna areas, spinning, pickleball, basketball, racquetball and pool are not being opened yet as we will not be able to properly ventilate and properly disinfect these areas. Additionally, we will not be able to create an environment of social distancing. As the Governor’s restrictions are lifted and we find it safe to do so, we will be opening these areas in our next phases.
We have these rules in place for safety and we fully expect all of our members cooperation. Failure to adhere to these rules will result in you being asked to leave our facility.
Lastly, we will not be drafting bank accounts for the month of June on existing memberships. We did not draft bank accounts for the months of April and May while we were closed. For those members who have paid in advance for the year, you will be credited the months of April and May that we were closed as well as the month of June.
With this reopening, we wanted to thank all existing members who return by not charging while we work through this reopening plan!
We are excited to welcome you back and look forward to seeing you!
Jeffrey T. Vitale
Chief Executive Officer
Due to COVID-19 restrictions our Outdoor Pool will not be opening this summer.
Our members safety is our priority at this time. We will be following the new CDC guidelines to make sure that the necessary changes are put into place. We will be ensuring that all safety measures are implemented properly at the facility. We thank you for your understanding at this time.
Many community changes are still taking place and changing everyday to protect the health of all people. At the Y, our number one priority is the safety of our members and program participants. With that being said, the Mon Valley YMCA will be closed indefinitely.
Please check our social media pages and website for updates. We will post a reopening date as soon as we know. We miss you and we can’t wait to serve the community again. Thank you for your patience and support during this time.
At this time, we are cancelling our Ridiculous Race and Eggstravoganza events. Refunds will be addressed once the facility reopens.
As we approach the end of March, we are taking a look at our memberships. The April membership drafting of bank accounts will occur April 6, 2020. If the Y is closed beyond our initial 2 week period that is set to end April 1st, we will NOT be taking money out of our members’ accounts. We will only begin drafting again when we are reopened. For those that have paid in full for the year, we will adjust any credits once we are reopened.
Any program or service that was postponed while we are closed, will either be made up at another time or credits will be issued. Again, this will all be finalized once we reopen.
We miss seeing our members and we are looking forward to the day that we can reopen our doors. Again, thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.
To our valued members & program participants,
As all of you are aware, many community changes currently are taking place to protect the health of all people. At the Y, our number one priority is the safety of our members and program participants. Our management team along with our Board of Directors have considered guidance from state and local government as well as the PA State Alliance of YMCA’s and National YMCA.
To assist with slowing the potential spread of the virus in our community, we are making the decision to close our facility for a period of two weeks beginning Tuesday, March 17 through Tuesday, March 31.
In an effort to best serve our community, our child-care center will remain open for children currently enrolled. All missed programs during the closure may be rescheduled for extended periods when we reopen. Any rescheduling will be addressed after we reopen. Please be aware that we will be evaluating this decision daily and will be ready to make adjustments if necessary.
We are following CDC guidance, have ensured that our disinfectants are approved by the EPA for use against the coronavirus and during this closure, our facility will undergo a deep cleaning.
Thank you for your patience and support during this time, and please know that we have made the decision we believe is best to ensure the safety of everyone involved.
CEO Mon Valley YMCA